Thursday, May 28, 2009

Why I am moving part 4: my roommates

This post is the fourth in a series about why I am moving. You can read part 1, part 2, and part 3.

When I moved into this house, part of the excitement was that I would be living with artists. I graduated from the Arts High School and I missed having artists around. The fact that I would have six roommates was actually counted as a plus in favor of moving into this house. Surely at least some of the six people will be interesting, fun artists to hang around with on a Friday night.

That excitement lasted for about a week.

When I first had Emily over to my place, the first thing she heard, shouted angrily from another room, was "You don't know shit about Burning Man!" Hilarious. Truly.

The first week or so I lived there, the girl in the room next to me had a dog. That dog had puppies. Four puppies.

Now, imagine if you took two yard sticks and made an L with them, and then made two imaginary lines that went from each end of the L to the area directly across from the corner of the L. You have a square yard! That is the space all four puppies were living in. By "living" I mean eating, crapping, and pissing. Fully half of the "living" space was covered by pee pads.

It began to reek a foul stench throughout the upstairs hallway. It was nasty. Eventually (and just before I was about to), someone posted a note on the puppy haver's door saying if the puppies weren't gone within 24 hours, Animal Control would be called.

The puppies were gone within 24 hours.

And then there were the passive aggressive notes, including one on the top of the mirror in the bathroom saying "If you're splattering toothpaste up here you're doing something wrong" and another in the kitchen, in February, saying "I've been noticing a lot of people coughing and sneezing in the house. My health insurance runs out next week. Please try to keep the coughing and sneezing to a minimum and be sure to wipe off all surfaces you use. Also, please don't piss or shit on the toilet seat." I assure you, there were plenty of others for this to be--not an annoyance so much, more of a hybrid of amusement and bemusement.

1 comment: