Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Why I Am Moving Part 2: The Common Space

This post is the second in a series about why I am moving. Part 1 is here.

When I first moved into the house, I was told there were a few simple rules. One of them was no parties, which, while it disappointed me slightly (it would be a great party house), I definitely understood. But I was less clear when I was told, "Yeah, the dining room is really more of an artist space... so precedence is given to our various projects."

Yes, that is correct: "No, Art, you cannot eat dinner at a table like a human being. That is for welding glass together to make a double-vase or something else 'modern.'" And by "modern" they mean pretentious/useless/totally unfunctional and unattractive.

So, I can't use the dining room table. Fine. At least I can have my nice TV in the living room, right?

Nope.

Half of the six other people of the house wanted the TV, half of them didn't. So I decide, instead of causing a fuss, I'd just put my 30 inch flat screen in my room. Problem solved.

Besides, keeping the TV in my room with the door closed is probably a good idea, because the front door is never locked. And by never locked, I mean the screen door and porch door are generally unclosed, and the door to the house has only been deadbolted three times and is only closed about 80% of the time. This means that fully 20% of the time, you don't even have to lift your arm to enter the house where I live.

5 comments:

  1. You either live in Bohemian paradise or normal-person hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who'd have thought you'd have so much trouble moving in with ARTists?

    Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "common space" post doesn't cover the dining room bed? Or does that fall under another category?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you have a whole series on why you are moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, you're saying when I drive by on my way home from the gym, I can walk right in and see the various art projects in the dining room? Sweet!

    ReplyDelete