Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Taste in DVDs

Recently, I was going to watch a movie with Emily, so I started to narrow our movie options by genre. That's when I realized the demographic makeup of my DVD collection. Let's just say it's a little lopsided.

These are the only movies in my collection that are not either comedy or science fiction:

(Missing from this photo are seasons 2 and 3 of Boston Legal, which are currently being lent to my mother's boyfriend.)

Even within this collection, as you can probably see, there is a bit of a theme. There are a lot of old movies, historical fiction, and old historical fiction (westerns). Also, there even is a little overlap of comedy and science fiction in this collection. For example, Alice's Restaurant isn't a full-on comedy, but it has its funny moments. The Great Escape and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid both have truly funny moments sprinkled throughout. Man on the Moon is classified as a comedy in some movie stores, but I feel like that's just because it was about the life of a funnyman; the movie itself has some very somber, touching moments (to the extent that a movie about Andy Kaufman can have a touching moment).

Hell, Boston Legal is a tongue-in-cheek legal drama that features a rotating cast of science fiction actors.

So, you may be thinking that looks like a bigish chunk of movies. Not outliers. Well, consider that the score or so DVDs featured above have come out of this collection:

1 comment:

  1. How would you classify Mystery Men? It's certainly not a comedy because I didn't laugh once.

    ReplyDelete