Friday, November 13, 2009

Emily Watches Star Trek

For three months this past summer, Emily was unemployed; this gave her ample time to watch DVDs while applying for jobs. After a single cajole by your humble author, Emily was convinced to sit down with the entire seven seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation and watch them from Encounter at Farpoint to All Good Things... Since this is the 21st century, she was on gchat, keeping me up to date on all the latest.

Following are some of my favorite exerpts from Emily's first viewing of any Star Trek television series.



Emily:
MAN IN SKIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Later]

Emily: MORE MEN IN SKIRTS
they're in some sort of dress uniform and all wearing skirts
me: well those are not skirts though
because they are wearing pants
those are just long jackets
Emily: well when hipster girls wear leggings they are still wearing skirts

---

Emily:
the Picard doppelganger almost had sex with Dr. Crusher
Me: wait, there's a Picard doppelganger?
Emily: yeah he got kidnapped
with three other people
and a doppelganger was running the ship
Me: oh yeah
Emily: and now he apparently needs a vacation

---

Emily: Picard has spent most of the current episode in a metallic Speedo
me:
haha
Emily:
he also just punched a Ferengi, which I enjoy
me:
I believe he will get it on in this episode
Emily:
it's looking that way

[Later]

Emily: picard DID IT

---

Emily: this episode is WEIRD
me: which one is that?
Tin Man?
Emily:
no, the one after that
there's this awkward engineering guy
who keeps going into the holideck to have sexual fantasies about Troi
me:
oh, Barclay

---


Emily: Picard just said "my love is a beaver"
me:
haha
oh, is he reciting things to mom troi?
Emily:
wait FEVER
his love is a fever
me:
haha
Emily: but yes, he was awkwardly trying to pretend to woo her, and then started spouting Shakespeare
me:
that scene is classic


---

Emily: well Data is reading poetry
me: ohh
the poem about Spot
Emily: Ode to Spot
he says Spot isn't sentient
I think Bernard is sentient

3 comments:

  1. When I first moved to Minnesota and we were in our house a couple of days before the movers got there, all we had was a little TV and reruns of TNG were all that we watched for a couple of weeks til we saw ALL of them.

    So, yeah, I've seen every episode of TNG. At least twice. So this was awesome.

    MEN IN SKIRTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of the biggest advantages TNG had over other television shows of its time: they had MEN IN SKIRTS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first two years of my daughter's life were spent watch Voyager reruns. She would hear the first few bars of the theme and shout "Janeway!!" and go running for the tv.

    ReplyDelete