Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Keep or Sell?

I am having a bit of an internal struggle. I need to be re-sold on my Amazon Kindle.

A little over a year ago, I bought my Kindle. I used it quite regularly; it actually caused me to read more than I had been. I was using the Kindle to its exact purpose: bringing around many books at the same time, reading two or three at a time as suited my fancy, never spending more than ten dollars on a book, and doing it all from my bed.

Recently, my Kindle has crapped out. I stopped using it for about four months (give or take--maybe six? Probably six), and then got so sick of not being able to use it that I called Amazon support, who informed me that it will cost either $20 for a new battery (which may solve the problem) or $180 for a new device.

This has got me thinking about all the things I don't like about the Kindle.

Actually, it's just one thing I don't like, but it's a biggie: I cannot share books. When I read a book that I like (which is most of them, as I usually quickly set down books that I don't like) I become an evangelist for that book and I am usually quick to offer to lend it out once I am finished. That's the nature of the bibliophile, I believe: to be libraries for our friends. The Kindle robs me of this elemental joy.

So, share your insight. Do I stick it out and invest $20 in a device I enjoy using and which allows me to read more books for fewer dollars, or do I sell it on eBay with a bum battery and return to the ways of the physical book?

8 comments:

  1. Put $20 into a used bookstore instead and spread the joy of reading to your friends and spread the joy of money to a local business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - the thing I like about having books is being able to pass them out to people mid-conversation. Used bookstores are so cheap that I don't know if you're saving THAT much money reading books only via a Kindle. I never spend more than $10 on a book either, but I buy all of mine at used bookstores. Getting what you want instantly is nice, but eh, you can probably live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree. But I'm biased in several ways. I think it's definitely worth $20 to try to save your expensive gadget, even putting those points aside. There are lots of great things about the kindle and you're only looking at one negative point ( plus the fact that it doesn't work at the moment) to make your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sell you kindle to your friends Donavon and Christie for $20. They'll take it off your hands for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put the $20 in to fix it and then sell it on eBay. That will make you happy, your Kindle happy and the eBay person who buys it from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, I'm shocked you didn't take this opportunity to plug libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Emily. Library it up! Hennepin county makes it easy to request books online. Then you just pick them up at your most convenient location!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...or you could have them instantly without going anywhere or having to wait for others to finish them.

    I'm not knocking public libraries, really. It's just that they're two completely different experiences, and the choice varies heavily depending how price sensitive you are.

    If you value convenience and time, keep the Kindle. If you value money and the ability to share books, use libraries and used bookstores.

    But it's not like you have to pick, either.

    ReplyDelete