Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The New Star Trek Movie

Spoiler alert: I saw the new Star Trek movie.

I was at work when I refreshed Twitter. Right near the top of my feed I could see that @vita_mn had said
Vita.mn invites you to BOLDLY GO... tonight at its premiere party for STAR TREK. 2 pairs of tixx available now. Email christian@vita.mn!
And ten seconds later I was in gmail. I wrote
I want them! How do I get them?
and was subsequently informed that I had already done all that was necessary.

And that was it. I had tickets to an advanced screening of a movie I've been anticipating for approximately three years. But not just an advanced screening--eight days before it comes to theaters. Seven days before regular people who win tickets get to see the "advanced" screening. In fact, according to Vita.mn, I am a taste maker. And my taste says this movie was fuckin' boss.

Better than Iron Man. And, yes, Better than the Dark Knight. (Note: I will not compare individual performances. Heath Ledger's Joker was a villain for the ages and was--somehow--way above the rest of that film.)

I will not bore you with spoilers. Suffice it to say the film stays close enough to the spirit of Star Trek to satiate this canon-aware fan. No, that's not right. I'm not just canon aware, but canon expectant. Ok, fine, here's a minor spoiler: this movie breaks canon. But if you really care you probably already knew that, right? I won't bother reviewing something you haven't seen past saying it was even more badass and fun to watch than the ads make it look. I dare say it nearly surpasses both Star Trek VI and Star Trek: First Contact. Nearly. If you wanted to determine which was the best of the three, you'd probably have to toss all of them in the air and see which one landed closest to the center of a target that denotes quality. That is how good this movie was.

I'm going to hold off on full-on analysis of the movie until I see it again next week (and when everyone else has seen it). However, I would like to note the demographic makeup of the crowd who saw this movie with me. This screening was made up of people who were in the know (plus me, Emily, and the other two people who were fast enough to get tickets from Twitter) about this movie, according to Christian. The rest, apparently, was made up of people who know Christian and their plus-ones. This made for an interesting mix of people, broken out approximately as such:

55% obvious nerds

40% obvious hipsters (Seriously. Skinny jeans? Still?)

5% indistinguishable/me and Emily

All in all I am really happy to have won tickets to see this movie. I am a little rueful that I was unable to share the devirginization of this rebirth with my best friend and collaborator Donavon. However, I believe it was worth potential perceptions of betrayal to see one of the best, most exciting films I've seen in years.

3 comments: